A sprain in any part of the body is not similar to strain. It injures the ligaments, while pressures impact tendons and muscles. However, the symptoms of strains and sprain are very similar. When experiencing an ankle sprain can cause pain in the joint and cause difficulty in movement. In severe cases, sprained ankles feel like a fracture.
Symptoms and signs of a sprained ankle
The symptoms of ankle sprain differ from individual to individual. The severity of the sprain has a lot to do with the symptoms. Some ankle sprains have a tremendous impact on multiple ligaments. Medical practitioners reinforce three grades of sprains.
• Grade one sprain is mild and occurs when there is microscopic tearing and stretching of the ankle ligament. It causes mild swelling and pain.
• Grade two sprain is moderate and a curse when the ligament stairs partially. It causes mild swelling and discomfort.
• Grade three sprains are the most severe; it is the complete tearing of the ankle sprain ligament. It causes significant swelling and distress, which interferes with the normal movement of the ankle.
• Other symptoms of an ankle sprain include sudden pain, which becomes worse over time.
• Bruising or swelling on or around the ankle area. In addition to this, difficulty in moving the ankle is another symptom.
The various causes of an ankle sprain
Any injury which traumatizes or stretches the ligaments takes the form of a sprain in the ankle. Some widespread causes include the following
• Falling- when you plunge, the angle may twist, and it may affect the ligaments directly. People with distinct health issues like osteoporosis are vulnerable to falling.
• A blow in the area– a blow to the ankle may cause a sprain in the ligaments, which forces them to tear. People who fall on their ankles experience this condition. It is because the weight is put directly on the ligaments, which further injures it.
• Sedentary lifestyle- Sedentary lifestyle increases the risk of injury to soft tissues. The lack of regular exercise weekends the soft tissues and muscles. When people fall or overextend the ankle, it affects the weak tissues, which are more likely to break.
Treatment and remedy
There are various home remedies and treatment options to rectify the situation. Rest, ice, compression, and elevation, also called RICE, reduces pain and swelling within a few days. Medical practitioners focus on this, in addition to over-the-counter medication. Crutches are another tool, which you can use to reduce the pressure on the ankle. Apart from this, the following treatment options may be helpful
• Physical therapy- physical therapy can be helpful in the case of injured ankles. Also, in the case of soft tissues, they are instrumental. Physical therapies encompass home exercises and stretch.
• Exercise- medical practitioners recommend regular physical workouts. Stretches and home exercises like toe raises, ankle circles, and heel raises can be helpful.
• Surgery- in case of a severe sprain, the only option left is surgery. The damage or instability in more than one ligament may require surgery.
People who experience ankle sprains must get in touch with their physicians as early as possible. Moreover, people who encounter arthritis are at higher risk. Hence, the earlier you take the step, the better it is for you.