A lot of people usually visit the dentist if they need a root canal procedure or a bad tooth needs extraction. But these are not the only reasons why you should visit your dentist. You also need to have regular checkups that include prophylaxis or cleaning in order to maintain good oral hygiene.
If this is your first time visiting a dentist, you don’t need to panic. Some people get comfortable with their dentists over time especially if they leave the dental clinic with clean, white, and pearly teeth every time.
What to Expect in a Dental Clinic?
1. Expect that they will Get your Full Health History – Your dental provider may ask about your previous dental history, previous extractions, and allergies if there are any. If you are interested in getting braces in order to align your teeth, most dentists will require a cephalometric or panoramic x-ray that can help them get an accurate assessment of the dental treatments that you need.
2. Your Dentist can Clean Your Teeth Thoroughly – Cleaning the teeth once every 6 months is the recommended treatment for most people. However, if this is your first time, your dental hygienist will first check your teeth for any tartar buildup. They will use special tools designed to thoroughly clean every tooth and remove plaque. They will also use floss to remove bits and pieces of food in between your teeth. They will use toothpaste with fluoride that will make your breath fresh and minty. In some cases, cleaning can reveal cavities that need to be filled. You can discuss with your dentist if you want to undergo tooth filling after the cleaning process is finished.
3. Extractions – There are cases where a set of teeth are already severely damaged. A root canal or a dental filling might not be able to repair the damage. The only option is to extract the decayed tooth to prevent it from infecting other teeth. The dentist will often inform you that a hurting tooth needs to be extracted. They will cut the bone and gum tissue that covers the tooth, and gently extract it in order to loosen it. There are times when the tooth needs to be removed in bits and pieces. You just have to be patient since you will not experience any toothaches afterward.
4. Dentures – If your teeth are unsavable, you might want to get them all extracted and replace them with dentures. Your dentures can be a big help when you want to bite meat, speak well, and swallow food without any problems. They will also make you look younger. You can get partial or full dentures depending on the state your teeth are in. An impression is made from your mouth and the molds are sent to a laboratory where the dentures are made.
5. Root Canals – This is a treatment that can help in the recovery of abscessed or decayed teeth. If it’s possible for the tooth to be saved, the root canal procedure will just take out some of the tooth’s surface, clean the tissue on the center, and space is filled with cement or another sealant. It is important to keep a permanent tooth as much as possible, so you won’t have any problems with overbite and teeth alignment. You can know more about how root canals are performed on sites such as Plush Dentistry in Frisco TX. These kinds of sites can provide you more information not only on root canals, but also about other dental procedures that you might need.
What Other Things to Remember when Visiting the Dentist?
Most people hesitate to do regular cleaning because it can be expensive. However, this mindset should be corrected because it pays to have a healthy set of teeth in the long run. If you have insurance from your company, you can visit your dentist without needing to shed any expenses at all. Your insurance can cover regular check-ups, x-rays, and cleaning in order to maintain the health of your teeth and gums. Check with your insurers if there are dental benefits that you can get for free and make sure that they adhere to the standards of the American Dental Association to make sure that everything is safe.
A Final Word
The above procedures are just some of the services that you can get when you visit your local dentist. Aside from the services, you also need to find a dentist that can make you comfortable. The office must have a professional and presentable atmosphere and they should be willing to address all your dental concerns. You can contact some of them and see which one can fit your needs.