A dentist is a doctor specializing in teeth and gums, practising preventative care and taking care of any problems.
A kid’s dentist Potts Point should be an expert at children-friendly dentistry: they should encourage good oral hygiene habits and know what to do when faced with the inevitable childhood dental emergencies.
They should also be patient, kind, gentle and compassionate.
For babies and younger children, it should be a paediatric dentist. So what always comes to mind when you think of your dentist? That image is the same for many people whether they are thinking about their kid’s dentist or their own: a calm but authoritative person with a soothing voice who knows what they’re doing behind those surgical masks.
Why Do Kids Need To See The Dentist As Soon As Possible?
Kids should see the dentist as soon as their first tooth appears, usually around six months of age. By two years old, they’ll be visiting every six months.
Some of the most common reasons kids see the dentist are for:
– Teething troubles
– Early childhood caries (ECC)
– Gum disease
The earlier these problems are caught and treated, the better: because, believe it or not, poor dental habits and neglect could lead to severe damage to a child’s teeth.
How to choose a good dentist?
– A good kid’s dentist explains things well to kids and answers their questions patiently. They should let the child know what they will be doing before they do anything like flossing or taking an x-ray.
– A good kid’s dentist has friendly and caring staff. It’s essential for kids to know and feel comfortable with their doctors and caregivers.
– The office should be childproofed – there should be no sharp instruments, drill bits or other items that could harm the little patients.
-The dentist should use painless methods whenever possible. Novocaine shots are no fun for kids (or adults, for that matter), and they shouldn’t have to suffer through a painful visit to the dentist’s office.
– The dentist should be up-to-date on the latest dental technology and treatments. They should also be willing to teach kids about oral hygiene and how to take care of their teeth.
– The dentist’s office should be clean and organized
– A good kid’s dentist will make sure the child leaves with a positive experience – one that they won’t be afraid to repeat!
How to find a good kid’s dentist near you?
One way to find a good kid’s dentist is to ask your friends, family and neighbours for recommendations. If you aren’t aware of someone who has taken their kids to the dentist, you can check online review websites or contact your local dental society.
It’s also a good idea to call the dentist’s office and ask questions about their services. If you feel they’re not open enough to questions, it’s probably a good idea to keep looking for a dentist who is more available and willing to talk you through your concerns. You may also speak to your kid’s paediatrician for a referral. If you’re not sure where to start, you can also use sites like Yelp! to search for paediatric dentists in your area. You should find reviews of local paediatric dentist offices on the site.
Is it a good idea to take my child to my family dentist for a check-up?
It’s not always the best idea to take your child to the dentist who sees you. While most general dentists handle children of all ages, some are better suited for kids than others. A paediatric dentist is an expert in working with children and infants. Paediatric dentists understand how young bodies work, making their appointments less traumatic for young patients. However, many dentists specialize in both handling adults as well as kids. You can check your dental care provider’s website to learn about their experience of working with kids. If you see reviews or a separate section mentioning kid’s dentistry, you can be confident that they will be able to provide an excellent dental care service for your little one. Also, you can take your child for a routine check-up to your family dentist to get a better idea of how they are with handling kids.