Following major surgery, it’s natural to be anxious to get back to all the favorite activities you love to do. But, of course, any doctor or specialist will be quick to tell you that you shouldn’t rush back into your normal routine. Your body takes time and space to heal, and in the big picture, a full recovery should be your top priority.
But did you know that visiting a physical therapy clinic in Denver can help speed up and improve your post-surgery recovery? In a process known as post-surgical rehabilitation, many doctors will recommend that you visit a physical therapist as part of your rehab program following major surgery. Physical therapy, as a core part of post-surgical rehabilitation, can improve your recovery time and help you get back to full health faster than ever.
Here, we’re taking a closer look at just how physical therapy functions as a core aspect of post-surgical rehab and we delve into the many benefits of physical therapy. As a safe and holistic approach to care, physical therapy can be beneficial for a wide range of patients.
What is Post-Surgical Rehab?
Post-surgical rehabilitation, also called “post rehab” in the industry, is all about finding that ideal balance between rest and exertion. This ensures that you can safely and effectively recover from your surgery. While intended to heal your body, of course, surgery can often inflict trauma on our bodies and lead to unexpected side effects, such as scar tissue or limited mobility. In some cases, surgery can take months to recover from fully.
To speed up your body’s natural healing ability and to improve your chances of achieving lasting recovery, medical doctors may recommend their patients enroll in a post-surgical rehabilitation program. These rehab programs can utilize many different types of therapy. They may include occupational therapy, speech therapy, or even physical therapy. For some patients, different therapies may be used in a type of combination to improve their recovery.
How Does Physical Therapy Support This Treatment?
One of the strengths of physical therapy, as part of post-surgical rehabilitation, lies in its unique versatility and flexibility. Your physical therapist will work hard to design a specific rehab plan to suit your healthcare needs and recovery goals. They can also work closely with you throughout your program so that you can adapt the plan to your health.
Some of the ways that physical therapy is used for post-surgical rehab include:
· Exercises to strengthen core muscle groups.
· Posture, balance, and coordination training.
· Self-care training.
· Manual therapy techniques.
· Flexibility exercises that can restore motion.
· Home exercise instruction.
· Therapies like ice therapy and heat therapy.
· Helpful lifestyle tips.
What are Some Top Benefits?
It’s simply no coincidence that so many doctors will recommend physical therapy as a core part of a post-surgical rehab program. Physical therapy is safe, and perhaps most important for some patients, an effective way to treat a range of injuries and ailments. Guided by a trained physical therapist, the exercises and stretches that make up physical therapy can speed up and improve your overall recovery.
Some of the top benefits of physical therapy following a surgery include:
1. Speed up recovery time: following surgery, most of us just want to get back to normal life. So with a physical therapy program, you can actually get back to that lifestyle sooner. As a key part of your program, physical therapy can boost your overall recovery time. This will save you time and can even cut down on costs because you’ll probably need less medical visits in the big picture.
2. Improved mobility: few things are quite as frustrating and tricky after a surgical procedure as feeling like you can’t move and having reduced mobility. But luckily, physical therapy can help. After surgery, physical therapy can work to restore your movement and mobility. Whether you’re experiencing mobility issues in your knees, shoulders hips, or any other joint area, physical therapy can help you return to a pain-free and functional lifestyle without mobility restrictions. It can also help you do all this without worrying about an additional long recovery.
3. Pain relief: while doctors commonly prescribe patients pain medication following major surgery, you shouldn’t solely rely on this option as a way to relieve pain. Often, this medication is only a quick relief from pain and hardly lasts. Additionally, some pain medications may have addictive properties or side effects that most patients wish to avoid. Physical therapy offers a safe and natural way to find relief from pain.
4. Better circulation: after surgery, scar tissue can develop in the afflicted area which can lead to more health problems, primarily inflammation. Because physical therapy can actually work to break down scar tissue, this can reduce your risk of inflammation, prevent blood clots, and improve your blood flow.
5. Improve posture and balance: depending on the type of surgery you had, you may have resulting issues with your balance, posture, and coordination. Physical therapy, however, can help by ensuring you regain muscle strength to aid with balance and coordination. Gait analysis specifically is often a key part of any physical therapy program.
6. Home care training: one of the distinct advantages of physical therapy is that patients can perform these exercises and stretches at home. After receiving guidance from your physical therapist, you can then continue to utilize these exercises long after your therapy is done.
Conclusion – What is Post-Surgical Rehabilitation?
Let’s face it: no one is ever looking forward to a surgical procedure. But in many cases, a surgery may be essential for your overall health. Following a significant surgery, many doctors will recommend that their patients enroll in a physical therapy program as a core part of their recovery program. As part of your program, physical therapy can serve as a safe, holistic, and effective way to help you recover faster. On top of that, physical therapy as part of post-surgical rehab can help you achieve a lasting recovery.
Healthcare Business Today is a leading online publication that covers the business of healthcare. Our stories are written from those who are entrenched in this field and helping to shape the future of this industry. Healthcare Business Today offers readers access to fresh developments in health, medicine, science, and technology as well as the latest in patient news, with an emphasis on how these developments affect our lives.