Cannabis or marijuana is a psychoactive drug made from drying any part of the Cannabis sativa plant. It is the most commonly used as an illegal drug all over the world but is slowly getting recognition for its therapeutic uses.
In the United States, marijuana use is still illegal under federal law, but 11 states and Washington, DC, have already legalized marijuana for recreational purposes. And more than 30 states also legalized it for medical use.
In areas that legalized marijuana, users are looking for other means to consume the drug apart from smoking. One technique that is steadily growing in popularity is making cannabutter and using it to make tasty edibles.
Cannabutter and Its Benefits
Before you start surfing online for articles on “How to Make Cannabutter,”it is best to know more about this product. As the term suggests, cannabutter is butter that has cannabis extract. Just as you make use of butter as an ingredient for a variety of baked goods and dishes, cannabutter plays the same role in cooking marijuana food products.
Marijuana users who prefer edibles made with this ingredient can experience the following benefits:
- More prolonged effect – While smoking marijuana offers immediate high or feelings of relaxation or euphoria, it only lasts for one to three hours. Eating edibles with cannabutter provides a prolonged effect that can last up to 12 hours, although it needs to be digested first for 30 minutes to one hour and a half.
- Smoke-free alternative – Smoking cannabis can cause respiratory irritation in the same way as smoking cigarettes. Food with cannabutter offers an option so you can enjoy the benefits of marijuana without developing lung issues.
- Better sleep – The cannabis in cannabutter helps induces sleep. Marijuana can make you feel relaxed and eventually sleepy.
- Pain relief – Cannabutter offers effective pain relief, which makes it a practical choice for those experiencing cancer-related and chronic pains.
You can readily purchase cannabutter in areas where cannabis is legal. But if you prefer to make your own, below is an easy guide on How to Make Cannabutter:
- If you are after potency, prepare one cup of marijuana flower for every one cup of butter. But if you want something less potent, reduce the amount of cannabis.
- Prepare one ounce of lecithin for every ¼ cup of butter.
- Crush the marijuana flower using a blender. Pulse a few times and prepare for baking.
- Set the oven at 2400 and bake the flowers for about 30 minutes. Note that baking (heating) is a critical step to activate its tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol components. These compounds are the cause of marijuana’s beneficial effects.
- Combine the lecithin, baked marijuana flowers, and butter and cook it in your slow-cooker. Start on high heat for an hour and switch to low for at least six hours. If you want a stronger result, extend the cooking time. Do not forget to stir occasionally to prevent the mixture from being burned.
- Remove from heat once the marijuana flower mixture is thick and glossy. Strain the mixture using a cheesecloth or wire mesh. Draw as much liquid as possible and put it in a container with a cover. Allow the butter to cool.
- Store the butter in the refrigerator.
Using cannabutter has numerous benefits and is easy to make at home. Keep in mind, however, that you should be more cautious in using it for baking or cooking than you do with ordinary butter. To make sure that you will enjoy the product without the side-effects, use cannabutter in small amounts at the onset.