According to the Mayo Clinic, “Cellulite is a very common, harmless skin condition that causes lumpy, dimpled flesh on the thighs, hips, buttocks, and abdomen.” It is an ailment with a very complex origin. You might be wondering how it is different from normal skin? It changes the skin’s topography and makes the texture look similar to an orange peel or cottage cheese.
It is most common in post-pubescent females. Around 90% of women are affected by the ailment. There are several ways people try to improve the texture of their skin, such as massages, creams, exercise, etc. Apart from this, there are medical treatments available as well. However, it does not give any immediate or long-lasting results.
Reasons for Cellulite in Thighs
The most common reasons for the development of cellulite in thighs include accumulation of fat, loosening of the skin, or excessive water retention in that area. Other factors which result in its development are:
The genetic factor is one of the most common reasons for the growth of cellulite. If someone in the family line had this disease, it is quite sure that it would be inherited, especially by a woman.
The development of cellulite mostly depends on the secretion of hormones. Estrogens, insulin, and thyroid hormones predominantly decide the outcome of cellulite. Reduced circulation of these hormones ensures a faster development process.
Less physical movement makes the functioning of the lymphatic system slower. Therefore, less oxygen is supplied to the cells leading to the accumulation of waste in the cells. This waste forms a part of cellulite. Thus, those who are indulged in less body movement are exposed to a higher risk of the ailment.
Anything that hampers the proper functioning of the lymphatic system is a reason for the development of cellulite. Unhealthy lifestyles make sure that the body becomes a home for diseases, and cellulite is no exception. Eating unhealthy food, smoking, and drinking reduces the supply of oxygen and encourages cellulite growth.
Ways To getting Rid of Cellulite
Regular massages help to tighten the skin tissues and improve the appearance of the skin. It revitalizes the lymphatic system and ensures proper blood circulation. A foam roller can be used to massage if done at home. However, professional help is always very effective.
Regular movement of the body keeps the body free from excessive fat. It stops the formation of cellulite. Training should be done for the targeted areas for good results. Some of the exercises which focus on thighs, abdomen, and butts are squats, weight lifting, planks, and hip thrusts. It will reduce the excess fat, provide strength, and make your body toned.
- Drinking water
Drinking water regularly and in good quantity helps to get rid of cellulite on time. It improves blood circulation and lymphatic flow. All the waste and toxins are excreted easily if the body has a lot of water. The chances of accumulation of waste in the body become very less. However, only drinking water would not help; it should be complemented with regular exercise and body movement.
- Balanced Diet
Eating good food is always a better choice. Adding vitamins, proteins, and omega-three fatty acids to your diet will help reduce the formation of cellulite in your body and further helps develop collagen, which is a major part of our skin. Food with high carbohydrates and animal fats can be avoided for long-term benefits. All of this helps in better circulation of blood, making it difficult for cellulite to grow.
- Medical Procedures
When cellulite becomes a dominant part of the skin, removing it becomes nearly impossible with home remedies. The medical procedure is done in such cases. Some of them are:
- Cellulase: A treatment where a laser fiber is inserted to break the band and see the cellulite beneath the skin. It reduces the cellulite and dimpling of the skin.
- Subcision: It is also called Cellfina. A needle is inserted, which breaks the tough band and helps to see the cellulite. This method is highly effective, and the results last for more than two years.
- Meso-CRF: Skin firming clinic LipoTherapeia in London has introduced a new radiofrequency and electro-mesotherapy treatment that offers the best cellulite treatment.
In this procedure, Cellulite and skin tightening are achieved by combining high-power deep-tissue radiofrequency with high-power ultrasonic stimulation. It is capable of maximizing treatment effects by utilizing the Celluence Legs topical treatments.
Many active ingredients are highly purified and concentrated, including caffeine, Centella Asiatica/Gotu kola extract, forskolin and EGCG, curcumin, esculin, and chlorogenic acid.
- Vacuum-assisted precise tissue release: The process of removing the cellulite is the same as the previous procedures. However, the device used by dermatologists is different. It contains small blades at the edges to remove the tight band.
- Acoustic wave therapy: This therapy increases the development of collagen in the body. It reduces the uneven and dimpled skin.
- Ultrasound: A sound wave is used to remove the excessive fat in the body. It especially targets the thighs, butts, and abdomen.
- Liposuction: After liposuction, the targeted areas are molded to the new contours. This method is used for removing the dimpling of skin but is not as effective as other treatments.
The best way to reduce cellulite is just by improving our lifestyle. It’s our negative lifestyle that has given birth to it. Regular exercise and eating rich food will surely change the topography of our skin.
However, if it goes out of our control, then professional help is recommended. Following the methods mentioned above will help you reduce cellulite. The procedures do not give you permanent relief from the problem. It has to be done regularly for smooth skin.