Whether you wish to increase your brainpower to pass exams or are an adult concerned about dementia, getting a supplement that improves brain power is appealing. This is why cognitive enhancers, also known as nootropics, are on the rise. Nootropics are drugs that improve memory, increase mental alertness and concentration, and boost your energy levels. There are different types of nootropics. Some pharmaceutical drugs treat conditions like sleepiness or improve attention and focus. Healthy people use others to improve their cognitive performance. Read on to discover how to find the best cognitive enhancers online.
- What are Nootropics? The term cognitive enhancer first referred to chemicals that meet specific criteria. However, it is now used to refer to any natural or synthetic drug that may positively impact mental skills. Nootropics fall into three categories; synthetic compounds, prescription drugs, and dietary supplements. Health experts recommend taking prescription nootropics for FDA-approved purposes. Since the research is weak, taking nootropics for other purposes is a controversial subject. Some researchers claim that nootropics may help mask fatigue and boredom, but they do not make people more intelligent. There are also claims that the effects of taking nootropics last as long as the drug remains in your system. So, some nootropics may cause dependence and have various side effects.
- How do they Work? While research is still inconclusive about how the drugs work, early researchers claim that the drugs act on different systems within the human body. The drugs increase blood flow to the brain, allowing the brain to use more oxygen and become more active. Some cognitive enhancers raise the body’s adrenaline levels, keeping you awake for an extended period.
- Types of Nootropics. Almost everyone uses nootropics. Caffeine is the mostly used caffeine, but it has health risks if you overdo it. Caffeine is a natural stimulant that improves thinking skills. It makes you more alert and gives you more access to several chemicals in your brain, like acetylcholine, which improves short-term memory. However, people looking for cognitive enhancement have moved to dietary supplements like CDP-choline, creatine monohydrate, and vinpocetine. Some cognitive enhancers like piracetam are available over the counter but are considered prescription drugs. Prescription cognitive enhancers contain stimulants like those found in ADHD medications. While these may work for people with ADHD, health experts do not recommend them for healthy people who wish to improve their brain power. Most people get short-term help from these drugs. The side effects include insomnia, blurry vision, and addiction. Modafinil is another promising prescription nootropic. The drug is FDA-approved to treat sleep apnea and shift work disorder. However, studies suggest it may help healthy people with learning and memory.
- Promising Alternatives. If you wish to use cognitive enhancers, discuss it with your doctor first. Your doctor will tell you about any health risks and recommend the best supplement for you. Remember that there is limited research on this topic, and everyone has unique brain chemistry. What works for you may not work for another person. Here are the most promising cognitive enhancers.
· L-theanine. This supplement enhances the mental effects of caffeine. Combining L-theanine and caffeine can help you multitask. Drinking green tea is the best way to take this combination. Green tea contains caffeine and L-theanine, but combining your usual coffee or tea with L-theanine supplements is okay. Avoid taking L-theanine in pill or powder form since you can easily overdo it. Overdosing will lead to a racing heartbeat, seizures, or death.
· CDP-choline. This supplement helps with memory and has no known side effects. So it is safe to try.
· Creatine Monohydrate. This supplement is frequently found in body-building supplements since it helps grow muscle mass. However, it can also improve healthy people’s reasoning skills and short-term memory. Creatine monohydrate increases ATP molecule levels, leading to more cellular energy.
· Bacopa monnieri. This is a traditional Indian herb that has been shown to help people process information faster. The supplement enhances the growth of nerve cells. However, it takes about six weeks for the results to show.
Health experts recommend using one supplement since combining them may pose a health risk. You can try one for a few months, take a month off, and then go back to it or switch to another. Talk to your doctor and look for reputable brands to avoid any risks. We have also prepared a list of effective cognitive supplements if you are unsure where to start. These supplements will help boost your brain function, promote brain health, inspire creativity, and slow cognitive decline.
The Editorial Team at Healthcare Business Today is made up of skilled healthcare writers and experts, led by our managing editor, Daniel Casciato, who has over 25 years of experience in healthcare writing. Since 1998, we have produced compelling and informative content for numerous publications, establishing ourselves as a trusted resource for health and wellness information. We offer readers access to fresh health, medicine, science, and technology developments and the latest in patient news, emphasizing how these developments affect our lives.