COVID-19 has had a higher impact on our lives than nearly anyone anticipated. With cities under lockdown and people all over the world trapped in their homes under numerous restrictions and curfews, one might think that there would be virtually no accidents on the road. However, even with tight restrictions on personal mobility, accidents do happen and the coronavirus might delay your plans for a personal injury claim.
A collision or accident in the pre-COVID era could be quite complicated and challenging for both parties involved, and the onslaught of the coronavirus adds even more anxiety to the risk that you might expose yourself or your family and loved ones to the deadly virus, which is why a good car accident lawyer can guide you on what to do after an accident in these strange, anxious times.
Even though contacting a good accident attorney is the first thing you should do if you have been involved in a car accident, it should be noted that in the era of COVID-19, safety always comes first. Some of the essential and basic steps that you should follow after being involved in a motor vehicle accident are as follows:
- Only come out of the vehicle when you have a mask and gloves on. It might be that other people attempt to come over and help you if you have fallen or had a bad accident and are injured, but any bystander might be a carrier of the virus, and it is important that before you interact with anyone else, you should be wearing a mask and gloves for your own safety.
- Maintain social distancing. It is extremely important that even after a minor accident you strictly adhere to the protocols recommended by the World Health Organization and your local and federal governments. You can contact other people from a distance, even the other party in the accident.
- Stay until help has arrived. It is important that you do not leave the scene of the accident until the situation is resolved. If you fear that the behavior of the other driver is aggressive, call the local police immediately. It is also advisable that you call your personal car accident lawyer or doctor immediately after the accident, as they are in the best position to medically and legally guide you to safety.
- Collecting information. It is important that you have as much evidence as possible so that your attorney can better pursue a claim on your behalf. Collect the personal information of the other driver, including his or her name, contact number, and license information. Also make note of the license plate of the car.
- Take pictures. In the era of COVID-19, technology has come a long way, and you should be able to take pictures not only of your own injury, but also the damage that your car sustained and many other important elements that could be critical to proving your case.
Your Case Might Be Delayed
Due to several restrictions, it might be possible that your lawsuit will be delayed, which is why it is advisable that you seek the help of a good car accident attorney as quickly as possible.
Insurance claims in the era of the coronavirus are slower than ever, and some companies might even try to leverage the delays to pressure you to seek a lower settlement. With the help of an experienced, skilled lawyer, you will be able to get a better offer. Furthermore, the entire court system is experiencing huge delays, and if you have been involved in an accident during this COVID-19 pandemic, it is best that you seek proper legal representation for a speedy and swift recovery.
Healthcare Business Today is a leading online publication that covers the business of healthcare. Our stories are written from those who are entrenched in this field and helping to shape the future of this industry. Healthcare Business Today offers readers access to fresh developments in health, medicine, science, and technology as well as the latest in patient news, with an emphasis on how these developments affect our lives.