Our sensory organs play an important role to lead a happy, normal life. Through our ears we hear the world. Our nose on the other hand helps to detect smell. Imagine a moment if these vital organs stopped functioning at an optimal level. We would be helpless, stressed and unhappy. It is important that we address any concerns to these organs promptly to avoid any irreversible damage.
We all want to stay young and healthy, but in reality a health issue can occur at anytime and anywhere. Something as harmless as a change in the tone of voice may not be innocuous at all. It could be a throat malignancy. This is why you must consult an otolaryngologist for more advice. An ENT clinic is a medical practice where the otolaryngologists manage conditions relating to the ears, nose and throat.
In Singapore, there are several capable ENT specialists and clinics that can address your concerns. Seek advice by an experienced specialist there for your needs. One pediatric and adult ENT clinic where the doctors have received multiple awards and is a patient favourite is The ENT Clinic: https://www.entclinic.sg.
What is the prevalence of ENT ailments?
ENT conditions are quite common in the general population. In Singapore, it makes up 20% of the adult and 40% of the paediatric cases assessed by a general medical practitioner. ENT specialists offer expertise in handling ENT conditions.
Why you must visit an ENT clinic annually?
It is good to have an annual check-up at the ENT clinic. Many individuals ignore this and overlook due to a busy schedule in their lives or wait until the situation is much more serious. Thus minor symptoms go unnoticed for prolonged durations until things get out of hand.
What are some of the common ear, nose and throat problems?
The common ear conditions treated are :
- Ear aches
- Ear infections
- Bleeding from the ears
- Problems in the ear drum
- Loss of hearing
- Invasion by foreign bodies
The common nose conditions treated are:
The common throat conditions treated are:
- Changes in voice
- Difficulties in swallowing
- Cancer in throat
- Swelling in the throat
The common head and neck conditions treated are:
- Surgical conditions following accidents
- Tumour treatment in the structures in neck
- Sleep apnea
What should you do before an ENT appointment?
Prior to presenting yourself at the clinic it is best to have a certain degree of preparation which will make it a successful visit.
- Identify a strong ENT clinic with experienced doctors that is well regarded in your area
- Call up the practice and check if there are any preparatory requirements prior to visiting the ENT clinic
- Do keep your past prescriptions and log books where you have noted your symptoms ready to be taken to the doctor. List and prioritise your concerns in order
- While at the doctor, he or she will take your medical history. Discuss your concerns and clear any doubts of your symptoms and ask questions to clarify
- Do answer the questions asked by the doctor in a clear concise way and present details of any past medications, drug allergies you might have.
- Your doctor will do an examination based on your symptoms
- Discuss with your otolaryngologist if there is a need for any additional tests to help with the diagnosis. Plan the required treatment regime with your doctor and schedule the next appointment visit if needed.
ENT problems may not always be minor so don’t wait till tomorrow, when an action has to be taken today. This will help you, not just in cutting down any unnecessary medical bills, but will also be an investment to stay in good health. Some patients choose to seek a second opinion with a doctor when they are not comfortable with the ENT doctor they originally visited or the diagnosis. Often Dr Jeeve or Dr Annabelle or Dr Hobbs are go-to doctors due to their great bed-side manners, their ability to speak multiple languages and their patience in addressing questions.
Healthcare Business Today is a leading online publication that covers the business of healthcare. Our stories are written from those who are entrenched in this field and helping to shape the future of this industry. Healthcare Business Today offers readers access to fresh developments in health, medicine, science, and technology as well as the latest in patient news, with an emphasis on how these developments affect our lives.