Cruise ships offer people a worry-free vacation, that’s why families, couples, and even friends consider going on a cruise every year. It’s a vacation wherein you have everything that you need, such as cozy rooms, delicious food, entertainment, pools, etc. It’s one of the best places to have fun and also have the chance to travel the world.
While on the cruise, passengers suffer from an injury because of an accident. These injuries can be a minor or major one, and it can inflict temporary or life-long pain. Remember that while on cruise ships, you are bound by maritime laws and regulations, so filling for an injury claim can be different, so you may want to opt for a Florida maritime lawyer to help you.
Passengers can enjoy a lot of amenities while on a cruise, there are fun activities that you can try, go to shopping centers, swim in a pool, watch a movie at a theater, and a lot of other choices. Because of these options, there are also several accident hazards. Here is a list of common causes of accidents that can cause injuries while on a cruise.
Most common types of accidents on cruise ships
- Slip and Fall. This is one of the most common types of accident passengers experience and can result in injury. There are a few reasons why passengers slip or fall while on a cruise, it can be because of slippery floors, faulty stairs, baggage in the hallways, or unseen changes in elevation around the ship.
- Food Poisoning. There are a lot of food options while on the cruise, they offer different restaurants, buffets, and even 24/7 bars and stores. When the cruise staff mishandles the preparation of food, passengers can experience food poisoning. A lot of people also have allergies to different types of food, which can result in severe medical conditions if not treated immediately.
- Elevator and Escalator Accident. When elevators are not adequately maintained and malfunctions, it can suddenly stop and cause passengers to get trapped inside and experience physical pain. They can slip and fall or get their body part stuck within an escalator or elevator, which can cause serious injury.
- Swimming Pool Accident. One of the amenities people are excited about while on a cruise is the swimming pool that comes with it. Passengers can slip and fall because of slippery and wet pool deck floors or floors that are defective and are without anti-slip. People can also experience drowning when swimming because of the negligence of lifeguards on the watch.
- Recreational Activities. Cruise ships have come up with different recreational activities for passengers to enjoy while onboard. Activities such as rock climbing, sky rides, and various water activities can also be a source of accidents and cause injury. In some instances, victims of recreational accidents can have a product liability claim if the equipment malfunctions because of its defect, and they can also demand compensation against the cruise ship company.
- Fire. In the event of a fire breaking out in the ship, it can cause severe burns and scars on passengers. A fire can trigger passengers to panic, and this increases the probability of getting into an accident.
- Drowning. Aside from drowning in the swimming pool onboard, passengers can fall overboard and can drown when left unnoticed by the cruise staff. And in severe cases, when the ship suffered significant damage, water can get into the ship and cause people to drown.
What are the common physical injuries that passengers can suffer from?
Because of the different accidents mentioned above, passengers can suffer from fatal injuries, and the lack of medical facilities on the cruise ship can also make it worse. It may take long before you get proper medical attention because the cruise ship can’t immediately dock on land.
Here is a list of physical injuries that passengers can experience while onboard:
- Neck, back, or shoulder injuries
- Spinal injuries which can lead to partial or total paralysis
- Broken or crushed bones
- Internal bleeding or damage to your organs
- Fatal burns, scarring, and disfigurement
- Severe emotional trauma
When suffering from an accident, the first thing you need to do is seek medical attention. Make sure to get first aid as soon as possible by going to the ship’s medical center. In this way, you can get treated immediately, and this can also be a way of getting the proper documents that you need to support your claims in what really happened. If you fail to get medical attention while onboard, it can also be a defense of the cruise ship company that there was not an accident that occurred while you’re on the cruise, and they can avoid losing from cruise ship injury claims.
You can seek legal actions when you get injured on a cruise ship by hiring a professional Florida maritime lawyer who is an expert in this kind of field, which can help you get the compensation that you deserve.
The Editorial Team at Healthcare Business Today is made up of skilled healthcare writers and experts, led by our managing editor, Daniel Casciato, who has over 25 years of experience in healthcare writing. Since 1998, we have produced compelling and informative content for numerous publications, establishing ourselves as a trusted resource for health and wellness information. We offer readers access to fresh health, medicine, science, and technology developments and the latest in patient news, emphasizing how these developments affect our lives.