Bodybuilding is no longer an exclusive sport for men but is now welcoming more and more women. There are more women athletes who are interested in joining competitions and bodybuilding. By nature, female bodybuilders and weightlifters are competitive. Both males and females have the same drive to experience satisfaction that springs from competing to their utmost potential. Some do this to gratify their yearning for recognition and fame. This is why many sportsmen and women do their best to win whatever the cost. This drive pushes them to try every means of achieving their goals, and one of this to use anabolic steroids.
Anabolic steroids are manmade drugs intended for performance enhancement and structure or image improvement. The pathophysiology of these drugs is they help in the preparation of bodybuilding tissues and developing muscles mass. They also mimic testosterone. They help boost the body mass and strips off body fat. No wonder, athletes and bodybuilders consider them as a normal part of their workout and training regimen and feel incomplete without them.
Medically, medical professionals prescribe steroids for hormonal management. But athletes take advantage of its muscle-building capacity. According to some athletes, especially women, steroids enhance their performance, develop muscularity, and raise body mass.
More often than not, female bodybuilders do not just use one kind of anabolic steroid but take different steroids and dietary supplements. Sometimes they take more than the recommended due to their preoccupation with having a good shape and strong physique. Women, according to Borjesson et.al, take few anabolic steroids in low doses compared to men.
Everything is good but in moderation. When women abuse anabolic steroids, it could lead to one or more of the following complications: First, a heightened danger of having cervical and endometrial cancer and osteoporosis. Second, it could cause temporary reversible infertility. Third, it could affect the libido. Fourth, alterations in the distribution of fat. The fifth is the appearance of masculine features like hair on parts of the body and face, deeper vocals, and reduction of breast and uterus size. Finally, irregular menstrual cycles. Usually, if there are alterations in the male reproductive system, they can return to normal, but unfortunately for women, some alterations are irreversible. For more information about women steroids, you can visit this website.
Despite all these risks, female bodybuilders continue to use steroids. They feel that the advantages outweigh the risks. Among the reasons why they use steroids are:
1. They want to succeed at any cost. Sometimes, the desire to win no matter the cost encourages practicing unhealthy ways, unhealthful intake of bodybuilding drugs, excessive training and exercise, and irregular eating patterns. At first, they feel enough satisfaction just by exercising in the gym, until participating in bodybuilding events, until the time comes that they compete, and now they develop the fanatical desire to win.
2. They feel that working out and training is not enough. Women think that even if they train hard and for long hours, they can never get their desired body figure or obtain gains unless they use anabolic steroids. The effects of steroids in muscle tissue reparation and their muscle-building properties appeal to women because they feel these drugs speed up recovery after training to the extent that they won’t feel any aching.
3. Bodybuilding is a way to look and feel good. Anabolic steroids speed up the process. This is why more women are using them. Anabolic steroids enhance physical appearance, help women feel toned, and decrease fat. Women tend to focus on the positive things anabolic steroids do than the drawbacks.
4. Anabolic steroids enhance the mass of the muscles, thus raising strength and endurance. Athletes desire to feel stronger. This gives them an extra boost in their training regimen and performances. Women feel that their self-confidence bolsters because of their good performance, regardless of the associated adverse effects of these drugs.
5. Women live with body anxiety, so they work out and take anabolic steroids to achieve the physique of their dreams. Despite all efforts, some women still feel dissatisfied with how they look. They are also heavily influenced by prominent figures they see in the media. Perfectionism suddenly overtakes, which is why they are critical of their physical appearance. Perfectionism drives them to unhealthful ideals, which include steroids as part of their regimen.
6. Female bodybuilders are influenced by their male counterparts. Some male bodybuilders might have advised women one way or another to take steroids to ensure satisfying outcomes.
Generally, using steroids during bodybuilding impacts the overall confidence of the female bodybuilder.
The use of anabolic steroids is good in moderation and a prescription. But if you are already obsessed with using it, wean yourself from it. Find alternative ways to enhance strength, endurance, and body figure without dependence on anabolic steroids. The first thing to do is to practice training without taking steroids. Second, have adequate rest and sleep. Third, eat healthy meals at the proper intervals. Fourth, set SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Time-bounded) and when you achieve those goals, give yourself a pat on the back. Fifth, ask for expert advice from coaches and trainers in your bodybuilding journey. It would be great to have someone to educate you on what to do, monitor your progress, and help you achieve your goals. Fifth, consult a nutritionist or your doctor about what to consume, how to avoid getting hurt, and alternative ways you can boost your strength without steroids.