Eating healthy involves the consumption of nutrient-dense foods originating from all the major food groups, like – fruits and vegetables, healthful fats, whole grains, lean proteins, etc. It is important to replace food items containing added sugar, added salt, and trans fats with more nutritious food options. You can visit the Twigs Cafe for some amazing healthy meal ideas.
Eating healthy benefits people in different ways. Here are some of those:
- Heart patients are increasing day-by-day. High blood pressure is a major concern as it can lead to stroke, heart failure, and heart attack. Studies suggest that heart diseases can be prevented up to 80% only with certain lifestyle changes like healthy eating, exercising, etc.
- If you eat foods containing antioxidants, it will protect your cells from damage, thereby reducing the risks of developing cancer.
- Some studies suggest that there is a relationship between food and mood. If you are on a diet having a high glycemic load, then it might trigger the symptoms of fatigue and depression. You should consume foods having a low glycemic load like whole grains, whole fruits, and vegetables.
- Eating healthy also improves your gut health. Your colon is filled with a lot of naturally occurring bacteria. These bacteria play major roles in digestion and metabolism. If you consume food items having low fiber content and high fat and sugar content, then it will alter the gut microbiome. I will increase the inflammation in that area. On the other hand, if you consume whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables, it will help the good bacteria to thrive in your colon.
- Healthy eating might also help in maintaining brain health and cognition. A study suggested that there are certain food items that prevents dementia and cognitive decline. Fish, polyphenols and flavonoids, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E, vitamin C, and vitamin D are helpful.
- Eating healthy helps in reducing weight. If you want to keep your bodyweight in check, then you should stop consuming unhealthy foods and plan your meals accordingly. Having a proper bodyweight reduces the risks of developing chronic health issues. If you are obese, you are at a higher risk of getting cancer, poor bone density, type 2 diabetes, heart diseases, etc. Stop eating junk and start eating healthy if you don’t want to fall sick!
- If you are a diabetes patient, then eating healthy is an absolute necessity for you! A healthy diet helps you to:
- Maintain a moderate bodyweight
- Prevent or delay the complications associated to diabetes
- Keep your cholesterol and blood pressure in check
- Manage your blood glucose levels
If you are diabetic, you need to stop consuming foods containing added salt and added sugar. Also, avoid food items containing high amounts of trans and saturated fats.
- Eating healthy also contributes to strengthening of your teeth and bones. Your diet must include food items with high magnesium and calcium content. It also reduces the risk of developing osteoporosis in future.
- If you eat healthy, you will get good sleep. Reduction of the caffeine and alcohol consumption helps you to get a restful sleep at night.