A highly competent family practitioner, a caring husband and father, and a selfless volunteer – this is what characterizes Michael Haghighi, the owner/operator of Haghighi Sports & Family Medicine. The clinic has two locations: Jacksonville, Florida and Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. Also, Dr. Haghighi is affiliated with the St. Vincent’s Medical Center Southside in Jacksonville, FL.
Q: Hello Dr. Haghighi! Thank you for agreeing to meet. I’m sure you are very busy as a family practitioner. Does this mean that you provide treatment for the whole family?
A: Thank you for inviting me. You are right, I’m plenty busy, we see between 30-50 patients each day. However, I understand how important it is to tell more about yourself when you are a doctor. Patients have a right to know more about who they will confide in for their current medical problems, symptoms and who will prescribe their medication.
Yes, our clinic is family oriented. This means that we take care of all family members. We care for people of all ages and backgrounds. We are focused on building personal patient-physician relationships that will help patients to be more comfortable and more open during their visits. This will help us to determine the identity of a disease much faster.
Patients come to us for treating their everyday ailments. We offer a full range of family medicine. Also, we provide annual physicals, work physicals, school and sports physicals, pre-op physicals and other screening tests.
Q: Amazing. You must have considerable experience. How long have you been practicing?
A: I started practiсing in 1997, so it has been more than 20 years now.
Q: Wow! So you have been a doctor long before some of your patients’ parents even met. Tell us a bit more about your training and expertise.
A: Yes, time flies. I completed my undergraduate degree in Biology pre-med at the University of South Carolina. Then I finished my Family Practice Residency at Louisiana State University as a chief resident. And I did a fellowship in Sports Medicine with The Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida.
Dr. Haghighi also kindly provided us with a list that illustrates his impressive experience:
- Feb. 2007 – Present: Haghighi Family and Sports Medicine, Jacksonville, FL. Private Practice, (Owner)
- June 2014 – June 2018: St. Vincent’s Medical Center – Southside (Active Referring staff privileges)
- 2014 – 2017: Cora Physical Therapy (Medical Director)
- 2008 – Present: Electrolysis and Laser Center of Jacksonville, (Medical Director), 2008 – 2013: Minute Clinic, Jacksonville, FL; (Medical Director)
- Jan. 2004 – Dec. 2006: Beaches Rehabilitation Center, Neptune Bch, FL (Medical Director) Jan. 2004 – Feb. 2007: Heartland Rehabilitation Center, Jacksonville Bch, FL (Medical Director)
- Aug. 2003 – Dec. 2006: Beaches Family Medicine, Jacksonville Bch, FL (Physician)
- Aug. 2003 – Aug. 2005: Baptist Medical Center Beaches, Jacksonville Bch, FL (Medical Staff)
- Nov. 2002 – Feb. 2003: Family Care Center, Jacksonville, FL (Moonlighting Physician)
- July 2001 – July 2002: (Chief Resident) LSUHSC – E.A. Conway Medical Center July 1998 – July 1999: (Family Practice Residency) LSUHSC – E.A. Conway Medical Center Curriculum Vitae Michael Haghighi, (M.D.).
- July 1997 – July 1998: Medical School, Elective Rotations Lutheran General Hospital, Chicago, IL; Bridgeport Hospital Yale School of Medicine, Bridgeport, CT
- July 1996 – July 1997: Medical School, Core Rotations Epsom General Hospital, Epsom, United Kingdom
SPORTS MEDICINE TEAM AND EVENT COVERAGE EXPERIENCE:
- 2014 – Present: (Team physician) for Jacksonville Armada professional soccer team
- 2011 – Present: (Team physician) for Jacksonville Sharks Arena football team
- 2008 – 2013: Guns and Hoses, (Event Physician), Nease High School, (Team Physician) Ponte Vedra High School, (Team Physician) Fletcher High School, (Team Physician)
- 2007 and 2008: Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Tournament, (Event Physician)
- 2004 – 2006: Fletcher High School, (Team Physician)
Q: Do you work with your wife?
A: Yes, my wife, whom I have been married to for 17 years, is also a physician. We work together.
Q: It’s great that your wife is also a doctor, your family is always around. You mentioned volunteering, tell us a bit more about that, please.
A: Yes, Haghighi Sports & Family Medicine is the medical team physician for the Jacksonville Sharks Arena Football team and the Jacksonville Armada Professional Soccer Team.
Q: Dr. Haghighi, given you see around 30-50 patients per day, how do you handle such an enormous flow of patient records?
A: I used to spend a big chunk of time doing paperwork during my group practice. So, I knew that for my clinic I would want an electronic health record system. From day one Haghighi Sports & Family Medicine has been utilizing computerized patient records, so we are completely paperless. Our patients can use the Patient Portal which gives them 24-hour access to their personal health information, prescriptions, recent visits to the clinic, etc. This Portal is a secure online resource that is accessible from any device connected to the Internet.
Q: I think it’s great, a very rational and convenient way to get rid of the paperwork to dedicate more time to your patients. Thank you Dr. Haghighi, it’s been a pleasure talking to you!
If you are looking for family-focused, problem-oriented physicians with more than 20 years of experience, visit Haghighi Family and Sports Medicine Clinic in Jacksonville or in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. You and your family are welcome to visit there as they are currently accepting new patients.