VPNs are gaining popularity outside of the corporate world as online scams are growing exponentially. These software programs are primarily designed to provide privacy, digital safety, and online freedom. But because of growing incidents of data breaches and identity thefts, many individual users have realized the value of subscription-based software and are ready to invest in a premium service rather than a free one. However, buying the best VPN can be as challenging as buying any other tangible or intangible asset for yourself or your family. From the sea of popular VPNs, here is a review of iProVPN, a VPN that’s made for privacy and online freedom.
Let us check how true this software stays to its privacy claims and what’s in it for consumers who love torrenting, streaming, and gaming but want to do all this securely and privately.
iProVPN: Quick Overview
iProVPN is a consumer-side VPN that offers the highest grade security while providing unlimited bandwidth, simultaneous connections on multiple devices, access to 150+ servers, and dedicated apps and proxies for 20+ major platforms. It is located in a safe zone, which means users’ privacy is taken seriously. One major point that makes this VPN review worthy is its advanced switches which are usually only found in the best VPNs.
iProVPN’s main headquarter is registered in The British Virgin Islands. Being a native company of this region, iProVPN is not legally bound to log, electronically record or share user data or activities with the government or local intelligence agencies. Operating from this location, a renowned safe jurisdiction for tech companies speaks volumes about how iProVPN prioritizes the safety of user data and their online behavior.
iProVPN, on its website, has made certain privacy commitments to users, including:
- Zero-logging Policy
iProVPN has a zero-logging policy, which means it does not keep any digital footprints, timestamps, activity with or without VPN, websites visited, or durations of VPN connections. While it does not save any such records, there is no point in sharing, forwarding, or selling such activity for research or revenue purposes.
- Data Handling
The only data the company collects during the signup or registration process includes the email IDs and the payment details. Email addresses are used for notifying the user about billing schedules and new offers, and for password recovery purposes upon user requests. Secondly, the company does seek credit card details, including the name on the card, the expiry date of the card and the country of registration for calculation of Value Added or Sales Tax whichever applies. Because the company believes in the strongest encryption, even the in-house employees can not get access to any user information.
We have attached a screenshot from their official sign-up page.
- Encryption Standards
As mentioned earlier, iProVPN has a group of digital experts and privacy advocates onboard. They believe in net neutrality and using their resources to reduce the digital divide. In order to provide protection and privacy to internet users, they have deployed military-grade encryption: AES 256-bit technology to protect internet traffic exchanged between devices and networks. This is the highest security standard as of now and currently utilized by money markets around the world.
- Internet Kill Switch: This switch disconnects the device from the network in case a connection with VPN is lost. However, this is not the default setting and users may choose to enable or disable this feature from the settings whenever they wish to. This feature is great for professionals (online teachers learners and freelancers) who want to protect their sensitive data while surfing online via home or public Wi-Fi. This feature also prevents DNS/IP leaks to the greatest extent.
- Adblocker: The apps come with a free ad-blocker that blocks all sorts of third-party advertisements and popups, decreasing the chances of catching adware in the device.
- Malware Protection: iProVPN has a database of known malicious domains and websites. Whenever a user makes a search query under the protection of VPN, the servers compare the query to such a list and don’t return results if the domain carries a virus or other sort of malware.
- Split Tunneling: Users who would like to enjoy native and international content together can choose to enable the split tunneling feature. This feature passes only selected traffic from the private tunnel.
- P2P Support: the app is built with torrenteers and streamers in mind. Therefore, iPro comes with unlimited bandwidth and supports the downloads and uploads of large files.
- Simultaneous Connections: Users with multiple devices can choose to utilize their single account credentials on up to 10 devices (which is higher than the industry average of 6 devices).
The core infrastructure of iProVPN is made for end-user who wishes to keep the data, communication, and overall internet activities secure from online monitoring. Therefore, iProVPN has dedicated apps for all major platforms: proxies for web browsers, apps for Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, and Linux. Users can choose to configure their VPN credentials on their routers, smart TV devices, and game consoles to prevent bandwidth throttling.
iProVPN has provided access to different VPN protocols including L2TP/IPSec, OpenVPN and IKEv2. Depending upon the internet activity and the speed requirements, users can choose to switch instantly between different protocols on the tap of a button. For reference, the apps are super user-friendly and users can alter settings the way they wish to.
Streaming, Torrenting, and Gaming
The majority of individual users buy VPN services for one of three reasons:
- They wish to access geo-restricted content.
- They want to stream digital services and online games at superb speeds.
- They want to get rid of speed throttling, buffering, and monitoring.
iProVPN is ideal for users with either of these needs. Firstly, it has got 150+ servers in 20 locations of the world. There are multiple servers for high-traffic locations like USA, UK, Canada, and Australia. Secondly, the VPN app comes with a smart connection button. So if you don’t have a specific server preference and only wish to enjoy exceptional speeds, the switch will automatically find the fastest and the nearest server for high speed and zero latency. Note that all payment plans of iProVPN come with unlimited bandwidth. So torrenteers, streamers, binge-watchers, and online gamers don’t have to worry about hitting data limits. Last, iProVPN can bypass major geo-restrictions and unblock popular streaming services including Netflix USA, Disney+, Amazon Prime and HBO Max, BBC iPlayer, ESPN, Discovery, Sky, DAZN, etc.
Though iProVPN is exclusively designed as a consumer-side VPN, however, freelancers, remote works, and online learners who wish to access distinct data libraries, or would like to research international content (archives, art directories, museum entries) can also use iProVPN to secure data they exchange on servers and unblock geo-restricted content.
iProVPN is a god-send for people who love free Wi-Fi services. That’s because the public Wi-Fi access points are weak in nature and can be penetrated by several hackers to sniff data packets. To protect yourself from data breaches, online threats, and risks, it is advisable to activate your VPN client before logging into a public network.
iProVPN has dedicated a separate space for educating its audience about their digital rights and the need for privacy in the modern era. They have a dedicated blogs section that provides tips about maintaining internet safety, avoiding online scams, and secure streaming. Furthermore, they have a section with tutorials for non-tech users. These tutorials are exclusively designed to create ease for newbie VPN users and aim to help people set up their VPN apps for full functionality.
Technical Assistance and Support
iProVPN has provided 2 methods to users who would like to contact their support team. Users can choose to email or chat with the technical assistance representatives any hour of the day or night.
Price and Payment Plans
Currently, iProVPN has 3 solid payment plans, with a 30 days free trial. iProVPN also has a 30 days money-back guarantee. For reference, users get access to all basic and advanced features whichever payment plan they choose.
- Monthly: Users are billed $10 per month.
- Annually: Users are billed $34.95 per year, which reduces the price to $2.9 per month.
- Biennially: Users are billed $49.95 per year, which lowers the price to $2.1 per month.
Users can choose to pay through various channels: Visa, Master Card, American Express, and Paypal (being the most secure payment gateway).
A critical examination, independent fact-checking, and an insider look into the applications suggest that iProVPN is a promising privacy VPN worth giving a try. With its money-back guarantee, it comes up as a risk-free VPN, with a support team that’s as responsive as a customer would love. Though the product looks quite solid on paper, we would suggest users sign up for a free trial and test the service before making a financial commitment.